In 1895, California native Fred J. Feldman leased and later purchased the photographic business of the Bushong Studio in downtown El Paso, Texas. The Fred J. Feldman Studio thrived during the 1910s and 1920s and became the premier photographic business in El Paso. Feldman was particularly well known for his skill in portraiture. He photographed many prominent businessmen, bankers, judges, mayors, and attorneys as well as society women and community groups. In 1916, Samuel Stout came to El Paso to manage the Feldman Studio. After taking over the studio following Feldman’s death in 1923, Stout designed a Spanish-style building for the photographic business at 1330 Montana Street, and the business became the Stout-Feldman Studio. The studio continued to take photographs of local residents, buildings, and events and took yearly photographs of students and organizations at local schools and colleges, including the Texas College of Mines and Metallurgy (later called Texas Western College and the University of Texas at El Paso) and New Mexico College A&M (later known as New Mexico State University). After Samuel Stout’s death in 1954, his son Walter continued the studio until the late 1960s. The collection contains glass plate and film negatives from about 1900 through the early 1950s. The UTEP Library purchased the collection from Achilles Studio after the negatives had been stored in the studio’s basement for many years.