Photographic negatives taken around 1900 in the El Paso-Juarez area were delivered to the UTEP Library by a representative of the Tom Lea Institute. The collection consists mostly of glass plate negatives with a few nitrate-based sheet negatives included. The collection was given to James Lea by his father, artist and writer Tom Lea, and presumably collected by lawyer and former El Paso mayor Tom Lea, Sr. Some of the photographs show events surrounding the visit by President William McKinley in May of 1901. Although the glass plates may show damage or image loss around the edges, many buildings and business names may be identified, as well as the text of some signs in a parade. The collection includes photos of mission churches in the area such as Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe in Cd. Juárez and the Misión de Corpus Christi church in Ysleta, Texas as well as views of irrigation canals or acequias and agricultural lands. Street scenes show adobe, rock, or brick buildings and modes of transportation including horses, donkeys, carriages, wagons, and streetcars.